My City Rocks: Birmingham's Railroad Park Nominated for "Best New Park!"


©Lifethegreenway

Let me start by saying that I love my city- it may not be perfect, but it's mine! So you can imagine how my heart swelled with pride to see that our very own, Railroad Park- a lovely greenspace in the heart of downtown Birmingham- was nominated by The Daily Green in the "Best New Parks" category in it's "2011 Heart of Green Awards."

My family and I first visited Railroad Park in October of last year.  We were excited, amazed and so proud that we had such a wonderful greenspace in our city!  One of the first things that I noticed, of course, were the  repurposed materials that had been used in creating playground equipment, benches and more.

The most beautiful thing about the park was the wonderful diversity of people that were enjoying the park and each other.  It was a glorious sight to see- truly "Birmingham's Living Room."

I'm encouraging my fellow Birminghamians to join me in showing our love for the progress our city's making in the sustainability arena by voting like crazy until Sunday, when online voting is over.

To vote, click here!

It will only take a second.  Pretty please :)

Here are some pics from our lovely Railroad Park that I took on our October family outing.  Enjoy!

©Lifethegreenway

©Lifethegreenway


Elena White is the founder and editor of  Life The Green Way, corporate sustainability coordinator at her day job, and a "rurban" wife and mother.  Learn more about her here and follow her on Twitter at @Lifethegreenway.




Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Gorgeous! I love your About Me descriptions of your grandfather and growing up. What an inspiration.
Elena said…
Thanks, Kristy! I adore my grandfather- he's my hero!
Anonymous said…
Hi

I read this post two times.

I like it so much, please try to keep posting.

Let me introduce other material that may be good for our community.

Source: Railroad job description

Best regards
Henry

Popular Posts