8 Top Foods to Boost Your Immune System With Vitamin C
- Guava fruit. Guava are one of the best fruits available since they're cholesterol and sodium-free, plus low in fat and calories. A 1/2 cup of this fruit contains 188 mg of vitamin C and only 56 calories. They are also high in fiber. Guava may be eaten raw or blended into a smoothie. The rind is also edible and contains 5 times more vitamin C than an orange!
- Red Sweet Pepper. Most people instantly think of oranges or orange juice when they think of vitamin C. However, 1/2 cup of raw red sweet pepper contains 142 mg of vitamin C and only 20 calories; cooked, a half cup yields 116 mg of vitamin C. I like these peppers chopped into my salads for additional color and amazing taste.
- Kiwi fruit. The kiwi is rich in vitamin C. One medium-sized kiwi contains 70 mg of vitamin C and 62 calories.
- Oranges. Surprised they didn't make the top of the list? A medium orange offers 70mg of vitamin C and approximately 62 calories. Pure orange juice offers 60-94 mg of vitamin C and 80-85 calories.
- Green Sweet Peppers. Raw, these peppers offer 60 mg of vitamin C per 1/2 cup and only 15 calories. When cooked, this is lowered to 51 mg of vitamin C.
- Grapefruit juice provides almost as much vitamin C as green sweet peppers: 3/4 cup contains 50-70 mg vitamin C and approximately 84 calories.
- Vegetable juice. Have you had a V8 lately? Vegetable juice contains numerous nutrients, including a healthy dose of vitamin C (about 50 mg and 34 calories in 3/4 of a cup). Tomato-based vegetable juice also provides a healthy dose of lycopene, an illness-fighting
- Strawberries are great sources of antioxidants, like vitamin C, and also contain fiber. A 1/2 cup of strawberries has 49 mg of vitamin C and only 27 calories.